Friday, May 23, 2008

What IS Corporate Casual???

Dear Glinda

What exactly is corporate casual? I can't wear khakis and a LaCoste shirt. Do I have to buy a more kicky version of a suit (with the same price tag as a conservative suit) to meet the dress code?

Goldie

Goldie –

Ugh, how tired are khakis and a golf shirt? I would say you don’t need to buy a suit we can certainly find some other things that will work as well.

I don’t see anything wrong with doing what makes you comfortable, that’s really what business casual is all about. It’s about pulling off the suit and putting on something well, better. I would recommend a tailored pant with something less fussy on top like a good t-shirt with a cardigan and cool jewelry. How about a wrap dress? Try a fitted blouse (wrap, necktie front, button up, whatever) with chocolate brown Dockers. In winter why not a cashmere sweater with dark denim trouser jeans with pearls for the hell out it. These kinds of looks are about mixing something a bit more stuffy with something more relaxed.

I personally find myself relying on what I call “transition pieces”. This is stuff I can wear more casually as well as dress up for work. I’m in love with simple cotton dresses with some serious lines and appeal. I love a simple a line dress with an empire waist. It just works wonders on me (bear in my mind I have an average bust and am short waisted). I also seriously love a faux wrap dress. I find that when I wear a real wrap dress I spend all day long have an internal panic attack that at any moment my dress will fall open (I have the same problem with wrap tops). So back to transition pieces. Things like more trendy tops and dresses can be dressed up or down so it’s something that can be worn outside of work.

I think it’s important to look at functionality in your wardrobe. You don’t want everything in your closet to look like “work pieces” or to spend all your time buying “work clothes”. Focus in on what is going to work in all aspects of your life and that will definitely help you kick up your work wardrobe while still playing by the rules.

Have fun mixing up your style and before you know it you’ll have shook up your business casual look.

Fashionably,

Glinda

No comments:

 
Site Meter